Sunday

Madeleine McCann: Theresa May or may not reopen Maddie case


Image from Joana Morais' blog

According to the Sunday Express Home Secretary Theresa May has asked to meet Kate and Gerry McCann, signalling she intends to tell them she will order a new investigation into their missing daughter Madeleine.

(Ian Lister also from the Home Office wrote to the Madeleine Foundation on 22 June stating that there is already an ongoing investigation which is why he won't answer FOI questions)


comments from Daily Mail

Mrs May wrote to the McCanns last week asking them to come to the Home Office in what is being described as a “positive step” by department officials.

A senior Home Office source said: “The Home Secretary has already exchanged letters with Kate and Gerry about the case and will be meeting them shortly to discuss how the investigation is being taken forward. It would not be appropriate to pre-empt that meeting or give details of the work.”

A new team of detectives, most likely from Scotland Yard, could soon get the mammoth task of raking over all files from Portuguese detectives, police in Leicestershire and private investigators.

Since taking office, Mrs May has taken a close interest in the case. Her predecessor, Labour’s Alan Johnson, last March ordered a costing of a review of evidence and the outline of how a new probe would work into finding out what happened to Madeleine, then three, of Rothley, Leics, who vanished from Praia da Luz on the Algarve in May 2007.

Sources say that Mrs May felt Mr Johnson made the right decision and the internal report is almost complete.

Mr Johnson acted after Jim Gamble, head of the Child Online and Protection Centre, wrote a report for the Home Office analysing police investigations here and in Portugal.

His report, which has not been released publicly, outlines how a new approach could produce new leads.
---------
A few comments from a forum:

"Well ,Well,Well,

While the Country is facing stringent economic measures we can afford to spend many thousands of £"s on the McCann Case, trying to find leads that the Portugese and Leicester Police , Metodo 3, Edgar, etc couldn"t find. The McCanns should be paying for this, not the British Taxpayer."

"I've just read that George Osborne intends to cut 40% of public spending, including cutting Housing Benefit and making massive cuts in education. The McCanns have squandered around 3 million in donations as well as costing the Portuguese police a small fortune following up thousands of 'sightings'. We learn from Tony Bennett's communication with the Essex police that there is a special unit within CPS and now this!

I am going to retain the hope that this new venture into the murky depths of this case will focus on those involved from the start and not on pouring more energy and money into so-called 'sightings.' If this team is set up, they need to look very closely at what the various private detectives actually did and what they were paid. Metodo 3, for instance, whose detectives have been accused of paying witnesses, stealing cocaine and attempted murder."

"I thought that the only people who could "re-open" the case were the PJ."
-----

The secretary of the Madeleine Foundation has, today, sent this email to the Home Office:

TO: public.enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Sunday 4 July

8.57am

Dear Home Secretary,

I have read in the Sunday Express that you have exchanged letters with the McCanns and hope to meet them. The Express article also says that you are likely to order a new Scotland Yard investigation in addition to other ongoing investigations into what really happened to Madeleine McCann.

Could you please let me know in writing whether any such re-investigation will actively pursue the line of enquiry mentioned in the interim and final reports of the Portuguese Police that Madeleine may have died in the McCanns' apartment and her body hidden?

Yours sincerely

Tony Bennett
66 Chippingfield
HARLOW
Essex
CM17 0DJ

Madeleine Foundation

Madeleine Foundation member's forum