Thursday

Yet again, the NHS "cannot comment" over toddler's missed broken leg

A FURIOUS mum claims her toddler was left in agony for more than two weeks after FOUR medics failed to spot his leg was broken.

Little Benji Lewis, three, suffered a broken fibia and tibia after falling off a roundabout.

His anguished mum Verity Mason, 29, claims an ambulance crew, two doctors and a radiologist all told her the little lad just had a sprain.

But after 17 days of worry and watching her tot suffer, a visit to her local health centre confirmed her fears.

Verity, of St Andrews, Fife, said: “I was horrified when I found out my baby had been crawling about for over two weeks because of a broken leg.

“Doctors had been advising me to get him to try to stand on his leg, but he was in far too much pain. I just knew something was wrong.” Benji was injured while visiting his dad Ray Lewis in nearby Cupar in September.

Furious Ray, 47, said: “I was so angry when I was told. How could the other medical staff have missed it? It’s an absolute scandal.”

Verity and Ray are planning to take legal action over the alleged blunder.

Last night a spokesman for NHS Fife said they could not comment on the allegations.

Source: The Scottish Sun

Paediatrician failed to spot Baby P's broken back and ribs