Thursday

Court 'vindicates' McCann suspect



Madeleine McCann suspect Robert Murat has accepted a £600,000 settlement from 11 British newspapers in a libel claim.

Mr Murat told the BBC in an exclusive interview that the court award represented a "vindication".

He said the more than 100 articles and sensational headlines about him had caused the "total and utter destruction" of his life.

Mr Murat said: "I would have preferred to have not gone through it, than had to get to this stage."

He said an apology from the papers allowed him to "rebuild his life".

"I have to live my life knowing that I was linked to this situation but with a strong family I do have a future, I do feel I have a future - now which direction that takes me in I don't know. At this moment I have no idea."

Full article here
Full court judgement here